A musical therapist provides a service on a weekly basis. A number of techniques are used during these sessions including, sing-a-longs, dance and movement, percussion, the playing of instruments and improvisation.
Our music therapy goals are to:
- Reduce social withdrawal/isolation
- Reduce anxious or aggressive behaviours
- Alleviate feelings of pain, depression or boredom
- Improve self-esteem
- Facilitate self-expression
- Maintain mental abilities
- Maintain physical functioning
Research has shown that music therapy is successful in maintaining or improving the wellbeing of people who have had strokes, those who have a mental illness or some form of dementia, as well as the frail elderly.